Flying over and back again to Los Angeles for some extra insights from a great foodie, he is ex-drum player, obsessed with good food and want to know all about it and more tougher than a food critic. #winelover Today some great spots to eat in LA by a nice and kind professional actor ( yes I guess i saw him in a few TV shows and movies ) Rob Mailhouse (Downtown LA, in a way his speciality). Some extra points showing again that so many ethnic food cultures acts and bring joy, and richness to the LA city.
By Rob Mailhouse.
Other places Anthony Bourdain should have tried in Los Angeles. He keeps going to the wrong places here.
1. Sushi Zo. After going to japan six times, this is as good as it gets here. Sasabune a close second. Century City.
2. Newport Tang Seafood. San Gabriel. Spicy crab and lobster platter with a French beer at a chinese Vietnamese hybrid? Yes please.
San Gabriel, CA 91776
514 W 7th St
Los Angeles, CA 90014
Alvarado & Montana
Los Angeles, CA 90026
Neighborhood: Echo Park
10. Honda ya. Once again, some ding dong took him to the wrong iza. Chef Nozowa took me here years ago. Yes, he eats here. Little tokyo.
333 South Alameda #316 Little Tokyo CA 90013
11. Ruen Pair. Thai town. I just love walking through the door here. Smells like the Thailand I miss. Then he could walk back to jumbos clown room.
13. Daikokuya. The Ramen and broth will leave him speechless. Little Tokyo.
14. Elite dim sum. Monterey park. Come East tony and ditch the douch bag porsche Dim sum heaven. Plus you won’t have to wait like the rest of us.
15. Din tai fung. Its a haul but once again we have the best chinese food out side of china. Arcadia.
1000 S San Gabriel Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
19. lso on Korea town jun woon. Fantastic hard to find real bean curd soup! And a mouth watering seafood pancake.
20.Guisados, Mouth watering chicken tinga and cochinita tacos with vegetarian choices like calabacitas and frijol con queso. Right next to Dodger stadium a taste of real Mexico. Fresh cantaloupe juice to wash all the succulent flavors down. It’s simply the best outside of Mexico City.
Mcals meat and fish company.
Address: 2117 Hillhurst Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027
Stunningly fresh seafood and quality meats and pastrys. This is where I go to prepare a special meal. It’s like France in a bottle. Scallops from Boston, skate wing and fresh Uni awaits. Salmon belly or local nat cab steak. Daily made breads and croissants done the right way. It’s heaven in Los Felix. They even sell the wood charcoal to grill your line caught Scottish salmon! This place is expensive but so is a Maserati. It’s simply the best protein you can but in Los Angeles period without being an insider at a fish market.
Also. The farmers markets here are amazing for veggies. Silver lake and Atwater village being manageable.
I also buy my seeds and planted veggies at sunset nurserys in silver lake. Growing herbs and veggies is the safest way to avoid GMo and monsantos wrath.
Cheers #winelover !
Who is Rob Mailhouse ?
Thanks. Funny. Actor today, I used to play drums in Keanu reeves band Dogstar. We traveled the world in the 90′s. I was always interested in cooking and fresh bold ideas in the kitchen. My body would reject crappy food. Way before celeb chefs and cooking shows I had a list of hundreds of places on tour. I became obsessed with quality. So after being in LA since 1990 I’ve eaten and met hundreds of cooks around the huge city. So many ethnic flavors here. I concentrate on the east side of LA. It really is a great ethnic melting pot here that most Americans think of LA as hollywood. I think of it as a giant fantastic kitchen for us to explore. Funny, almost every day someone calls me and asks were to eat. And we live in a city that has johnathan Gold as a food critic. But my friends say that I’m tougher. They don’t want prose. They want to know everything. Like is the owner a republican? Are the prices fair? Do the owners treat the staff well? Where does the cook eat lunch? Funny, I know most of those answers. I’m obsessed because I also cook. It’s a great city. I feel like I’m traveling almost every time I head out.
Ps. Matt is a great guy and a good friend. We eat and explore a lot together. Lots of laughs too.
(Matthew Kaner one of the wine guru of L.A. and has been named among Food and Wine’s 2013 Sommeliers of the year, a distinction bestowed on only 11 wine professionals, featured also another great article on L.A Welcome to the City of Los Angeles - http://vindeling.com/2013/06/19/losangeles/ .)